CONSTIPATION : WHICH SUPPORTS
IN NATURAL MEDICINE ?
What is constipation?
A slowing down of the bowel movement – less than 3 bowel movements per week (according to the WHO) which can be hard and painful to evacuate – characterizes constipation.
Constipation can be temporary and linked to our lifestyle or chronic when it is long term (more than 6 months).
It can be due to our diet (low in fiber), insufficient hydration, stress, pregnancy, disrupted habit, lack of exercise …
It is installed over several months and to seek its cause is in this case very important to determine a treatment. The hepato-biliary function can be explored or the microbiota or food intolerances.
When to consult a doctor?
When constipation is chronic or occurs suddenly, or is secondary to an illness or suspected obstruction, it is important to consult to determine the cause and treat the problem in the right way.
Some general dietary recommendations:
- A diet rich in soluble fiber (vegetables, fruits, legumes, whole grains). Be careful with fruits, spread them out over the day (raw outside of meals and cooked at the end of meals). For cereals, favour whole grains (and not overcooked) Favour green vegetables.
- Drink at least 1.5 liters of water per day (spread out over the day). Some tips that can help – do not apply them all at once – ask your doctor or nutritionist for advice:
- Add flax seeds (ground) to your dish (the equivalent of one tablespoon per day) – or chia seeds (which have been soaked in water since the day before)
- Take a small cure of prunes (ideally soaked in water for 24 hours – you can also drink the juice)
- Dilute apple juice in Hepar water (rich in minerals)
For a personalized accompaniment, you can consult a nutritionist who will help you in the composition of your plate. For more information, click here.
A few rules can be followed:
- Practice regular physical activity
- Try to establish a rhythm – the idea is to be able to go to the bathroom when the urge arises and not have to hold back – having a regular time is possible. To help you, you can also elevate your feet so that your position is more physiological and therefore easier.
Constipation and colon hydrology?
Constipation is characterized by a storage of fecal matter, which in the short or medium term, leads to bloating, gas and discomfort of varying degrees.
Colon hydrology is a method that allows a gentle, thorough and controlled cleansing of the large intestine.
This technique, carried out by trained and recognized therapists, allows in particular to proceed to the removal of accumulated fecal matter by gentle and successive baths. It also allows to wake up and tone up this particular muscle that is the colon, in order to maintain a good transit.
Moreover, the main reason for appointments in a colon hydrotherapy practice is temporary and chronic constipation.
For more information on colonic hydrology, click here.
Constipation and Chi Nei Tsang?
Chi Nei Tsang is a deep therapeutic belly massage. This massage will drain each of the internal organs (nei tsang) and boost their functionality.
Mechanically, this massage allows a better digestive comfort, especially by reducing bloating and stimulating transit. It will therefore help you in cases of chronic constipation but also temporary.
Constipation is often linked to our emotions and this massage, which also works on the breathing and the diaphragm, allows a better letting go – sometimes necessary to go to the bathroom!
For more information on Chi Nei Tsang, click here.
Constipation and traditional chinese medicine?
According to Chinese medicine, constipation can be classified into two main categories:
- those related to Qi or energy, which causes a lack of peristalsis (lack of movement); and
- those related to Jin or body fluid, which causes dryness of the stool.
A sedentary and stressful lifestyle will favor a stagnation of energy in the internal organs and especially in the colon. To this can be added a diet that is too fatty and too sweet, which creates internal heat. This consumes the organic liquids and causes dry stools.
Constipation in children, active people and the elderly are often caused by different causes, which will require adapted therapeutic strategies.
The combination of acupuncture and Chinese pharmacopoeia allows to boost this energetic circulation in order to set the peristalsis in motion and favor the production of these liquids.
For more information on acupuncture, click here.
If you have a specific question, do not hesitate to contact us using the link below:
Thanks for reading us.
Where to find us?
Rue Jean-Sénebier 20, Geneva (near Parc des Bastions).